Old University Union closes until fall for renovations

Photo | Chris Valentine

Old Union food services were officially closed last week.

Tiffany Jones,
Campus Editor

The Old University Union at California State University, East Bay closed on Saturday for renovations to make changes in the mechanical system as well as add a new roof.

The 120-day project is projected to keep the Old University Union building closed through the rest of the school year, as well as the summer quarter. The projected completion date is Sept. 11, 2014.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience to the students but there was no way to keep Taco Bell [and] Pizza Hut open during this construction work,” said Copus.

The Old Union contains Associated Students, Inc.’s office, the Game Room, dining options, a piano, and is a hang out and study spot for students.

“The building will get all new energy efficient air conditioning units, new energy efficient boilers to heat the building, and new energy efficient hot water heater,” said Chuck Copus, architect and project manager at CSUEB.

Copus explained the roof on the building currently is in very poor condition, and does not drain well. The new roof, he says, will last 20 years and will provide better drainage, and therefore save the university energy and require less maintenance labor.

“The existing systems are over 20 years old and not as energy efficient as the new equipment being installed,” said Copus.

The Taco Bell and Pizza Hut Express located inside the Old Union will be closed during the renovations, but the university will be offering alternatives for students.

Although the POD store and US Bank will remain open during the construction, the Associated Students, Inc. and Dining Services offices will be temporarily relocated to the New University Union until the construction ends.

Martin Castillo, associate vice president of campus life, expects longer lines will form at other dining venues on campus.

“Longer lines are unavoidable with two large venues closing down during this project.  For this reason, we are increasing the amount of ‘grab and go’ items at the different locations,” said Castillo.

During the closure, grab and go food items will be available at Starbucks, Einstein’s Bagels and the POD store. In addition to grab and go alternatives, Starbucks on campus will remain open for an additional hour Monday through Thursday and will close at 9 p.m.

As well, special meal plates will be offered on Fridays in the Dining Commons for $5 Flex dollars, which come with student housing meal plans.

Castillo hopes the food trucks on campus will help to make up for the closure of the two dining locations and keep lines short.

Food trucks on campus rotate each week to give students a variety of food options.  Trucks are on campus each Wednesday and Thursday from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., located near the Student Administration building.

“We have arranged for the POD to stay open until after graduation,” said Copus. After the completion of spring quarter, the POD will relocate to the Einstein’s Bagels location near the North Science building with limited options for students during the summer quarter.