Hayward’s four mayoral candidates

Erick Ocean,

On June 3, Hayward residents will go to the polls to elect a new mayor.

The filing deadline for Hayward’s mayoral candidacy came to a close March 7, with three councilmembers and a businessman vying for the position.

The candidate elected by voters will succeed Mayor Michael Sweeney who announced last year that he will retire July 2014 at the end of his two consecutive terms, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Francisco Zermeño

Zermeño, 61, a councilmember since 2008, is also a professor at Chabot College and business owner of Terlingua translation services in Hayward.

In 2004 Zermeño founded the Latino Business Roundtable in conjunction with the Hayward Chamber of Commerce.

“I have met with CSUEB President Dr. Leroy Morishita,” said Zermeño in a phone interview. “To possibly establish a future collaboration in guaranteeing any high school graduate of Hayward to be automatically accepted by both Cal State East Bay and Chabot College.”

Zermeño said he believes that all post-secondary institutions should unite in Hayward to become an education community by expanding California State University, East Bay’s shuttle services to Chabot College in Hayward and Southland Mall.

Barbara Halliday

Halliday, 63, said she guarantees to make children and youth her top priority if she wins the candidacy. She has been a Hayward councilmember since 2004.

Halliday refers to the expansion of Hayward public library’s tutor and homework support center in Weekes Branch Library in Hayward, to all schools in the Hayward Unified School District.

“As mayor, I will help boost test scores by extending this program to all schools and strengthening our support of school safety,” said Halliday in her candidate statement from the City of Hayward website.

Mark Salinas

Salinas, 43, a Hayward native, was elected to the city council in 2010. Unlike Zermeno and Halliday, his council seat is up for re-election and if Salinas loses the mayoral post, he will no longer serve on the council.

Salinas is also an educator for several Bay Area colleges including CSUEB’s Political Science & Ethnic Studies department. He currently teaches Public Opinion at CSUEB.

“We as a city should be providing Cal State East Bay students with first opportunities,” said Salinas in a phone interview. “Graduating students should have an employer and a realtor standing on the other side of the stage with an opportunity work and raise a family in Hayward.”

Salinas states CSUEB faculty members endorse his campaign, which includes Kim Geron, Ph.D., Enrique Salmon, Ph.D., and Gale Young, Ph.D.

Rakesh Kumar Christian

Christian is running not only for the mayoral race but also to become California Governor simultaneously.

As the owner of his political organization entitled American Public Party, Christian voices his concerns about the city of Hayward’s fiscal stability as well the councilmembers’ leadership.

“Hayward has a deficit of $2.5 million,” says Christian in an email. “Budgets are out control, city workers of Hayward are suffering.”

Early voting period begins on May 5; the last day to register to vote is May 19 and Election Day is June 3. Voting polls open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and all election forms are available at: City Hall, Office of the City Clerk, Alameda County Registrar of Voters, U.S. Post Offices, Hayward Public Libraries, Department of Motor Vehicles, and online at the Secretary of State website.