CSUEU rally at CSU East Bay Campus

Ynez Adsuara,

California State University Employees Union gathered on CSU East Bay’s campus on Thursday to gain the support from staff and students for the “appropriate funding” towards the CSU system in order to provide higher education and better working conditions.

Representatives of the CSUEU set up a table in front of the bookstore, where they handed out flyers, asking those who passed by to join their rally. They requested petition signatures in support of their push for “a better future for CSU’s and all of California.”

Members of the union and several allies arranged themselves in a line on the grass in front of the bookstore, some of which were holding up large posters. Across the line, in large bold letters read, “TAKE A STAND.” Smaller signs read, “Take A Stand For Students,” “Take A Stand For Staff,” “Take A Stand For Education.”

Once aligned and settled, CSUEU’s President of Chapter 306, Diego R. Campos began to speak to the crowd. He began by informing the audience who they were and why they were there.  He explained their purpose, and the meaning behind their protest.

The other speakers, including CSUEU’s President, Patrick Gantt, reiterated Campos’ message. Between each speech, union members who held the signs chanted in unison, “Take a stand!”

Students and faculty watching the demonstration showed their support for those participating by clapping at the end of the rally.