CSUEB Jazz orchestra captivates at Yoshi’s

Photo | Marina Swanson

Director Mitch Butler addresses an attentive crowd at Yoshi’s Oakland.

Sam Benavidez,
Arts & Life Editor

The California State University, East Bay Jazz Orchestra performed for an eager crowd on Monday for the 15th Annual Night of Jazz at Yoshi’s Oakland.

The band features music department students and is led by Director Mitch Butler. Butler is in his inaugural year as director of the orchestra, but he is not new to the world of jazz. He has been a trombonist for many groups such as the Nebulous Jazztet, The Mitch Butler Trio, and was also a member of the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra.

The first solo of the night was given to recently graduated tenor saxophone player Jonathan Bautista, who soulfully executed his part. Perhaps the most impressive solo of the night came from senior alto sax player Alex Attard. His energetic and booming solo brought even more electricity to the already upbeat numbers he was featured in.

While the orchestra has performed at Yoshi’s before, Monday’s event was particularly special. The show was Butler’s first time performing at this premier Bay Area jazz club.

“This is my first time [at Yoshi’s] as a conductor or a performer,” said Butler. “When you play in a theater like this, you have professional, world class sound.”

The show featured two CSUEB alum trumpet players, Mike Olmos and Marvin McFadden.

Olmos is an active Bay Area trumpeter who performs in local jam sessions and bands around the Bay Area. Butler met Olmos in a local jam session and immediately respected his work and eventually offered him a guest spot in the performance.

Director Mitch Butler takes a physical approach to leading the orchestra.

“I met them by going to sessions,” said Butler. “That was sort of how we connected and then to get them as guest artists, it was because they were our friends.”

Olmos had the opportunity to rehearse with the students leading up to the concert. He said he was mostly impressed with their willingness to improve as musicians.

“They’re young and have an open ear to what Mitch is trying to say to them, even when it comes to the criticism,” said Olmos.

McFadden has performed with well-known artists such as Santana, Barry Manilow, Ray Charles and is currently playing trumpet in Huey Lewis and the News.

Olmos was featured on numerous numbers including “Hoe Down,” where he powered through a skillful solo that the crowd couldn’t resist applauding and cheering for. As the band marched through their 11-song set, the crowd seemed to be increasingly excited.

The show opened with “Basie Straight Ahead” which set the tone nicely for what would be about an hour and a half set of beautifully arranged pieces. The set featured a combination of upbeat, loud songs like “Us” and the more soothing ballad of “Low Down.”

One of the last songs of the night was titled “TOP Medley.” Arranged by CSUEB alumnus Mic Gillette, this number fused three songs from the Oakland-based legendary horn section, Tower of Power. Audience members danced in their seats to the incredibly creative and upbeat collection of songs that featured solos from McFadden and other artists.

Even those who said they usually listen to music other than jazz were impressed with the performance the players put on.

“It was actually pretty upbeat,” said CSUEB student April Duarte, “I had been to a couple classical concerts and it was definitely a lot more entertaining than that.”

Other notable audience members included Acting Vice President of Student Affairs Stan Hebert and Director of Student Life and Leadership Programs Marguerite Hinrichs. Hebert has been with the university for six years and has not missed one of the annual Nights of Jazz in his time here.

“I bring friends to the event,” said Hebert, “They are impressed with the students and want to support in any way they can.”

The performance ended with a bang as they ran through “Groovin’ Hard” featuring all band members that had not performed a solo so far that night. There was a buzz in the air from start to intermission to finish that could be felt.

The band’s next major performance will be the 29th Annual CSUEB Jazz Festival Concert April 18 and 19 at the University Theatre.

See Photo Gallery