Interactive event showcasing oppression comes to campus

Marina Swanson

Students learn about alcoholism through messages placed in cups on a beer pong table.

Associated Students Incorporated at California State University, East Bay hosted their second annual Tunnel of Oppression in order to introduce concepts of oppression, privilege and power to students, staff, and faculty. The event is a local and national event hosted due to growing differences among groups and individuals.

In a letter sent out to CSUEB faculty, “the goals in designing this program are to encourage students, faculty, and staff to explore personal beliefs and values about diversity, to encourage discussion about oppression and its effects, to enhance the cultural sensitivities of the university community, and to design effective strategies for confronting and ultimately transcending prejudice, stereotypes and general misconceptions.”

The all-day event held on the Hayward campus included role-play scenarios, video clips, and activities on various topics like racism, addiction, domestic violence, and other injustices society faces today.

With up front visuals of ableism, invisible disabilities, common day slavery, and communication among races, the event worked to show the oppression that many people overlook on a daily basis.

The program encourages youth, faculty and staff to explore their own personal beliefs as well as take a look at the misconceptions and stereotypes behind the injustices through the personal beliefs of others.

Prior to introducing the topics, participants were encouraged to participate in the Tunnel of Hope, which gave them an opportunity to reflect on their own personal beliefs and take a stance to help stop oppression on campus.

The Tunnel of Hope works to encourage students to question the oppression and make a change by provoking questions like, “Can you imagine a different world?”

“The Tunnel of Oppression brought more awareness of the different types of oppression, that I didn’t realize existed,” said Cameron Ryczek who attended the event. “Overall it was an eye opening experience.”