New program promotes healthy body images

Jenise Kearney

Students focus on improving their health at the RAW center.

Selina Smith, Contributor

The Recreation and Wellness Center at California State University, East Bay is planning its first “Love Your Body Week,” a special program Feb. 3-7 to bring awareness to positive and healthy body images.

The weeklong event will include a wide variety of activities, focusing on promoting healthier ways for students and faculty to live their lives. Events will encourage students to eat less meat, eat more whole grains and become more active, said Jennifer Luna, manager of Health & Wellness Services.

The event will culminate in Go Red Day on Friday, to recognize National Wear Red Day, sponsored by the American Heart Association. Organizers of the event hope to educate students about the realities of heart disease in the United States and promote healthier lifestyles, said Luna.

Heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States ahead of cancer, the American Heart Association reports.

The new program is in addition to the regular ones offered at the RAW, said A’naja Bass, fitness programs coordinator at the RAW.

Bass and Intramurals and Activities Coordinator Corey Gazay said they are working hard to continuously offer new programs to students. For example in fall 2013, the center offered a personal training program for the first time.

CAMPUS_RAW1“I believe the R.A.W. offers an opportunity for students to develop in more ways other than academically. Here, they are able to develop their social and physical skills. We are happy to offer programs that allow the students to do so,” Bass stated.

The Diversity Center, Student Health and Counseling, Student Housing, and Greek organizations on campus will collaborate in the event, said Bass.

The RAW opened almost three years ago on Jan. 11, 2011. Shortly after its grand opening, it was featured in Athletic Business magazine for its environmentally friendly features including its water efficient landscaping, use of recycled materials, and its built in, natural heating and cooling features.

The two floor fitness center includes a multi-court gymnasium, two fitness studios, an elevated indoor track, a wellness center for students to relax, study, or get nutritional advice, locker rooms, and a Jamba Juice, located just inside the entrance of the building, to offer students a healthy snack.

The RAW offers over 35 fitness classes each week, such as yoga, cardio kickboxing, fitness boot camp, and Zumba.  Intramural programs are also available, where students can sign up for coed teams, volleyball, basketball, badminton, and dodge ball.

Every quarter a fitness competition called RAW Records is held, where both men and women are able to compete for a record-holding title in pushups, burpees, pull-ups, a one mile run, and other workouts.