Starbucks Soon to be On Campus

The Library’s Learning Commons will be remodeled into a Starbucks, including an outdoor patio area, with a projected launch date at the beginning of the Winter quarter.

“Between the numerous requests from the library and students, Aramark was convinced to build the Starbucks,” said Associate Vice President for Enterprise Operations Christopher Brown.

“The Starbucks will have their own main entrance, so there will not be a disturbance to students studying in the library.”

The librarians are excited about the Starbucks possibly welcoming increased social interaction in the library.

“I’m definitely looking forward to the Starbucks opening up because we want to change the environment in the library,” said Linda Dobb, University Librarian and Interim Associate Provost. “Coffee will help the students with their studies and produce social interaction.”

The Starbucks in the library has students split on how they feel the project will benefit the campus.

“The convenience will be lovely for me because if I’m in the middle of studying, I won’t have to run all the way down to Java City in the Union just to get a cup of coffee. The social networking in the library will increase, because Starbucks will change the way the students view the library and become more comfortable,” said student Mimi Workeneh.

In contrast, student Laura Banuelos said, “Why the library, out of all places? Putting a Starbucks in the library will not bring more people to the library.

The people will only come to the library to get their coffee and go on about their business.”

Another student, Neetisha Richards, said, “I’m really curious as to see how it will turn out.

I hope it will not ruin the true values that a library holds, like computer access, peace and quiet.”

In many cases, students look at the library in a traditional sense—no eating, no drinking, no talking, just studying.

The library is working towards creating a setting where you can study, enjoy a meal, get a good cup of coffee and have a good conversation.

“It doesn’t seem like we have enough settings to talk and study,” said Dobb. “The library is my home and I want to make students feel at home as well. I’m a little worried about the noise affecting the students.”

Efforts will be done to reduce the noise. The construction will take place from Nov. 7 through Nov. 20.

“There should not be much noise, being that we will only work on the serious remodeling during non-school hours and breaks,” says Brown.

The library suggests that students wear earplugs to reduce the noise level during construction hours.

Java City will still be open for service in the Old Union until the Bistro undergoes remodeling.