CSUEB Premieres Award Winning Spanish Play

Alejandro Morales-Giacoman, who
played Esteban (front), is seen here
during his powerful monologue
where he seeks to learn more
about NN12, played by Belgica
Paola Rodriguez (back).

CSU East Bay Department of Theatre and Dance produced the U.S. premiere of the award-winning Spanish play “NN12” this weekend, a dramatic and impassioned play about our desire to discover the truth and understand what binds us to follow authority over humanity.

Written by contemporary Spanish playwright Gracia Morales, who won the XVII Premio SGAE de Teatro, or The Sociedad General de Autores y Editores Prize in 2008 for NN12, one of the highest honors afforded to a Spanish playwright, CSUEB had the honor of staging the play and exhibiting the work of its student performers.

Directed by Dawn Monique Williams and staged in the University Theatre, NN12 delves into the forced disappearance of people during wars and dictatorships, asking us to acknowledge that the dead still have a voice and a story to be told, as long as we are willing to discover it.

Filled with family tragedy, a purpose to breathe life into the unfortunate deaths of political prisoners, and challenging authority and political supremacy, Morales’ play is one of the most powerful, insightful and irreproachable plays to be staged at CSUEB. It offers students and the community the opportunity to experience phenomenal theatre in Hayward.

The idea for NN12 came to Morales after reading an article in Spain’s most popular daily El País that addressed the recent excavation of the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team. After reading the report, which discovered a mass grave in Argentina where 12 bodies remained undiscovered for almost 30 years, Morales quickly became interested in learning about the unknown, and hoping that in discovering who they were, their lives will have served a greater purpose. Each one is designated ‘NN,’ the Latin abbreviation for “Nomen Nescio,” which translates to the unknown.

NN12 centers on the 12th and only woman discovered in the mass grave, and the play follows her ghost’s discovery of who she was, why she died and the ultimate purpose and consequence of her life and death. NN12 is an emotional journey from lost to found, a poignant reminder of the consequences of obeying orders without questioning them.

Morales, who was present Friday and Saturday for a question-and-answer session after each play, told attendees the oppression she discovered that resulted in the death of those in the mass grave has occurred everywhere — from the Holocaust, to the Civil Rights movement in the U.S., genocide in Bosnia, Africa, the Middle East, and political oppression in Argentina. As such, she said she prefers not to frame the play in any specific place so the viewer can relate the topic to their environment or their personal circumstances. In doing so, Morales cultivated a story with a universal message of treasuring life, one that anyone in any geographic area can relate to.

As we meet NN12 and the three people either searching or escaping her memory, we understand Morales’ intentions to have us question authority and how this ideal has unfortunately resulted in the death of countless people throughout the history of humankind.

“For me, the play talks about the abuse of power, an abuse of power which sadly occurs in many places, at many times, and that political systems allow such an abuse to occur,” said Morales to attendees Saturday, as CSUEB professor of Spanish Iliana Holbrook translated.

Gracia Morales answered questions
after the play Friday and Saturday,
working with a translator to ensure
her message was clear to everyone
in attendance.

“That’s the issue we are dealt with, why do these things happen and why do we allow them to happen. That’s a problem we have seen, unfortunately, time and time again.”

CSUEB’s student performers aimed to demonstrate that message in the hour-long English rendition of NN12. It was apparent the actors understood the complexity of Morales’ argument, yet some actors exemplified that more than others.

Belgica Paola Rodriguez was the strongest performer, as noted by playing the lead character of NN12. Rodriguez maintained her character throughout the play, always physically in tune with her words and expression. Rodriguez connected with the audience by articulating her monologue clearly and passionately, moving her body constantly and fluidly. Her strongest moments came when she was able to move vigorously as she exalted her voice, a necessary skill in demonstrating the struggle of a ghost in making sense of their death. Rodriguez, a seasoned actor at CSUEB, played her role very well.

Alejandro Morales-Giacoman in his third career role at CSUEB was a work in progress this weekend. Clearly nervous, Morales-Giacoman, who played Esteban, began the play struggling to deliver his lines convincingly and express the heavy emotions behind his lines, however very skillful in correcting his awkward pauses as they began to occur. Morales-Giacoman seemed to be holding back, as when moments of great intensity in the play occurred and he had a great opportunity to display his ability, he left the audience wanting more. It is evident Morales-Giacoman has power behind his voice, as small moments where he bursted with energy seemed to rival Rodriguez’s gusto. Morales-Giacoman makes up in charm where he lacks articulation, and though not as seasoned as other CSUEB performers, still demonstrated great talent in the making.

Sean Hobbs played the old man, great with his connection but lacking in physical performance. He delivered his lines emphatically, but somehow did not know how to utilize a cane properly, often holding it like a bag rather than a staff for support. As the supporting actress, Janelle Aguirre played the forensic scientist, the bridge that connects NN12 to its past. Aguirre’s performance was solid, not requiring extreme emotion or power, but Aguirre did provide a consistent and reliable rendition of a scientist, meticulous and thorough.

The performers, though many developing in their craft, paid homage to the people Morales hoped to give voice to through their evident passion. From the stern archaeologist, to the young man searching for his roots, CSUEB’s performers, alongside a play of grand caliber and stature, boldly brought great art to Hayward’s stage.

“The recently dead are the loudest, so loud you can’t hear anything else,” NN12 said, reminding us that our connection to the dead never fades, nor should we forget who they are.