Planned Parenthood Rallying at CSUEB for Youth Votes

Planned Parenthood Advocates Mar Monte (PPAMM), the Bay Area’s subdivision of the controversial national health care providers will encourage youth at CSU East Bay  to “Get Out the Vote” against issues affecting them in a rally tomorrow at CSUEB’s Agora Lawn.

“Young people need to fight back against attacks with their votes on Nov. 6 in order to secure their futures,” said Lupe Rodriguez, director of public affairs for PPAMM. Although the half-an-hour rally at CSUEB is only short, it would be an “energizing moment” to get people excited about voting against key issues added Rodriguez.

Planned Parenthood, who are currently in an increasingly hostile political environment due to the upcoming federal election, are widely opposed by Republican candidate Mitt Romney and other Republicans, the Catholic Church and other Pro-Life organizations such as the Pro-Life Action League for providing abortion services to youth.  The hostile situation has increased for  the not-for-profit organization, whose  existence is currently on the line, as the Romney administration proposes a $300 million cut to their funding, if elected next week.

“I am a Pro-Life candidate who supports the Hyde Amendment, which bars the use of federal funding for abortions,” said Romney to the National Review in 2011. “I will support efforts to prohibit federal funding for any organization like Planned Parenthood.”

However, Rodriquez, says only 3 percent of federal funding goes towards abortion and the other 97 percent is prevention and health services to women, men and children to over 250,000 individuals in central California and Nevada alone including birth control, prenatal care, and breast and cervical cancer.

PPAMM recognizes issues in the election beyond reproductive rights, and encourages CSUEB students to attend the rally to gain awareness of Planned Parenthood’s presence in Hayward adds Rodriguez.

“The same congress that has repeatedly attacked Planned Parenthood has also attacked programs that are important to young people like the Dream ACT, student loan programs, birth control access and funding for higher education,” said Rodriquez.  “We want students here at CSUEB to work and volunteer with us.” added Rodriquez, saying PPAMM largely emphasizes their support for youth issues such as their rights to health care services and funding for their higher education.

Julia Lange, a PPAMM volunteer who is taking the entire bus tour agrees, saying she doesn’t think enough youth are aware of Planned Parenthood and the health care options they provide for young women which enable them to choose the paths they want to take with their bodies.

“The idea of wealthy politicians dictating the futures of young women already struggling to get by is absurd,” said Lange.

Lange says although she doesn’t believe all Planned Parenthood supporters must vote Pro-Choice, she does express she believes congressmen have lost touch with reality to the point they do not understand the extent of the damage they cause.

“It is crucial to fight back against the attacks on federal family planning programs and The Affordable Care Act, because without these provisions, millions of low-income women would be completely without access to health services,” said Lange. “PP  (Planned Parenthood) centers provide support to pregnant and parenting teens.”

CSUEB is one of the many stops PPAMM is making in California to try and rally students to vote in their favor starting on Nov. 2  in Modesto then traveling to Stockton, Hayward, Sacramento and ending in Reno, Nevada on Nov. 7.

Lange says the volunteer atmosphere at PPAMM is  enthusiastic and welcoming, adding CSUEB students should get involved, as they are lucky to live in a country that allows them to express their opinions and advocate for the freedoms Planned Parenthood supports.

“I’m excited to rally at CSUEB and travel to Nevada to help make Planned Parenthood Advocates’ voices heard,” said Lange.

“It’s an all expenses trip paid to Reno in exchange for doing ‘Get Out The Vote’ work,” adds Rodriquez who says it’s not too late for CSUEB students to sign up at the rally at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow.