ALP Registration System Dissatisfies New International Students

The registration system for CSU East Bay’s American Language Program (ALP), which offers admission to international students for undergraduate programs, has proven to be problematic after students spent their first two weeks on campus still unregistered for classes and with no guarantee they will get into their preferred courses.

The current system, which only allows ALP students to register for classes two weeks into the quarter caused frenzy Oct. 4 when 362 ALP students spent the morning rushing around campus in an attempt to confirm a spot in the few remaining courses left available.

“There were people absolutely everywhere standing in lines with their coffee waiting for hours all over campus,” said Dennis Draber, a new ALP student at CSUEB this fall.

Draber says he waited in a line of approximately 50 anxious ALP students for two hours in front of the Valley Bus Technology (VBT) center in attempt to secure one of the few available spots left in his preferred business course.

“It was quite complicated and poorly organized at the business office because it was first come first serve,” Draber said.

Sarah McGregor, director of the ALP, says the registration processes are the way they are because ALP students pay less than degree-seeking students.

“It’s the program they signed up for with the cheaper price. They’re getting a great deal and getting a great experience,” McGregor said.

McGregor admits the program contains problems but suggests the program does try to help students with their goals.

“A lot of classes are already full or wait-listed so they might not be able to get the ones they wanted but they knew this and were told this,”she said.

McGregor says it might deter ALP students, but wants “all of our students to be happy.”

Simon Berglund, another ALP student who was outside the VBT center says after waiting for an hour he was told to go back home and do his registration online.

“A man came out and told us they were understaffed that day,” Berglund said. “It’s probably one of their busiest days so I don’t understand why they would be understaffed. That’s unacceptable.”

Draber says because of the current registration system, the first two weeks of the quarter were extremely hard and stressful and many students missed out.

“I was lucky to get the classes I wanted,” Draber said. “It would be helpful if you could choose the classes before you arrive so you don’t have to concentrate on so many classes.”

Berglund, who spent his first two weeks at CSUEB in and out of several classes, says he had to take more classes than needed to ensure he would be able to secure enough credits.

“I enrolled in one class and already started this group work,” Berglund said. “Then I had to leave the class after two weeks because I didn’t need to take it anymore. I felt bad about leaving my group for that class after we had been working together.”

Draber says he was lucky to get the classes he wanted and says he has Yuri Nagasawa, CSUEB’s program coordinator and advisor of the ALP to thank for helping him with his registration.

“She gave me a lot of helpful information,” Draber said. “She was really great in how she handled it.”

Nagasawa, who has been working with ALP students at CSUEB for six years, says there’s no guarantee when it comes to enrolment. She said this is not the first time she has heard students complain about the registration system.

“They have to get the permission from the instructor as an ALP first and after this permission is granted only then they can access to register online in the second week of the quarter,” Nagasawa who said that as a former ALP student, she understands their struggles, however did emphasize they were communicated to about this at orientation.

“We warned them,” adds McGregor, who says she is fair to all students and encourages any ALP student with queries regarding registration to come talk to her.

McGregor said all they can offer an ALP student struggling with the registration process is help and time, adding they can even recommend courses they may have originally planned on and still make their experience at CSUEB worthwhile.